1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

VE SS V8 coolant flush how-to.

Discussion in 'All Car Models' started by Trevhead62, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Trevhead62

Trevhead62 New Guest Member

Hi there,

My ride is a January 2011 build SSV Redline ute. Since I bought it second hand (and knowing that it had some work done on the engine by the previous owner), I wanted to be sure the cooling system is up-to-spec. The coolant also looked a bit diluted so I reckon it was due for a birthday. After searching through various threads on this topic I couldn't find anything on how to flush and change it out, particularly on the VE SSV. I took my time doing this and experimented with some techniques of my own and what I've learned from other peoples postings on the topic. Feel free to correct any mistakes or shortcomings after all, this is only my first attempt/best efforts. So here goes...

1. Park the car in such a fashion that the old coolant can be either collected for disposal or drained without causing a mess on your driveway or garage floor. I parked mine so that the front-end was just off the edge of the garage floor. If you jack it up, be sure to keep it level.

2. With the engine cold, remove the filler cap.

3. Locate the radiator drain plug (See Picture). It's situated under the radiator to the right of center.. look for a blue plug.

4. Using a large phillips screw driver, undo the plug and let the coolant drain out completely. Note, not all of the coolant in the system will drain out. The book says the system holds 11 Litres. The radiator holds just under 6 Liters, the reservoir holds about 1.5 Liters and the block retains the remaining 3 to 4 liters. This need to be flushed out.

5. Flush out the reservoir. To do this, disconnect the reservoir tube from the radiator filler neck and re-route it down to the lowest point under the car. Poke a running garden hose into the throat of the reservoir, (See picture), and fill it right up to the the top - overflowing. Keep an eye of the water coming out of the tube under the car. Flush until it runs clear and allow the water in the reservoir to siphon out completely.

6. Re-install the radiator drain plug. Do not over-tighten.

7. Refill the radiator with tap water (tap water is ok flush). Just under 6 liters should fill it. I used rainwater 'cause that's all I have at home.

8. Start the engine with 'Engineering mode' activated. (Press and hold the steering wheel's left rotating button whilst starting). Scroll to monitor Engine coolant temperature. Have the heater on fully, fan & AC off.

9. As the engine warms up, (5 TO 10 mins) keep an eye on the water level. Keep it full. Monitor the engine temperature. When it reaches 91 degC the thermostat will start to open and the engine flush begins. When hot water starts to flow steadily from the radiator fill point, (engine getting hot now), shut the engine down and allow time for it to cool down. Wait at least 20 minutes then drain it all out again.

10. Repeat steps 6 to 9 twice more. Important - do not refill the engine with cold water if the engine is hot. Wait for it to cool down or thermal shock could crack something.

11. Refit the overflow tube at the filler neck. With the drain plug securely fitted, fill the radiator with fresh pre-mixed coolant. (I used concentrate Red Nulon diluted 1:1 with demineralised water as opposed to the original Holden stuff). This took about 5.5 liters.

12. Fill the reservoir with about 1.25 liters of the coolant mix. this should bring it up to the full mark on the dip-stick.

13. Disconnect the other hose to the radiator filler neck... the one with the clamp on it. (See photo).

14. Start the engine again and allow to warm up as before with the filler cap off. This time, monitor the flow of water from the hose. When water starts to flow from here, reconnect the hose. Monitor the coolant temperature and the level in the radiator. Shut down the engine when it gets hot (> 100 DegC).. Allow to cool down again.

15. As it cools down, over time, slowly top up the radiator with CONCENTRATE coolant. This will make up for any plain water which would have been trapped in the engine block.

16. Ensure the cap is securely fitted and both hoses reconnected with the clamp on the front hose. Start her up in engineering mode again and take it for a burn around the block. Monitor the coolant temperature. It should stay around around 90 to 91 degC.

17. Check for leaks. Let it cool right down and check/top-up the levels in the radiator and the reservoir over the next few days.

If you can, use demineralised water for the flush routine, have the coolant checked for correct concentration ~ 37.% glycol.