1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Class Action Against Uber

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by mule, Apr 15, 2017.

?

Would you participate in a class action against Uber

1. Yes, compensation required

2. No, Uber has never treated me as an employee

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mule

mule Member

Are there any upcoming class actions against Uber's in relation to their treatment of their partners?

If so I would like to put participate.
    If there isn't yet one, there should be.

2. And on what grounds are you thinking we can sue?

Sharilee Williams likes this.
  3. mule

mule Member

If you don't know then you either haven't been doing Uber very long or have a high tolerance for getting walked on.

There are numerous way in which Uber go beyond the limits of independent contractors. For example, I personally was punished each day for a year for not accepting jobs that I deemed unprofitable. I was also threatened by an employee called James who said I would lose my job if I say anything negative about Uber (while he posed as a rider sitting behind me).

4. Cold Gin

Cold Gin Member

What do you mean when you say you were punished each day?

Sharilee Williams likes this.
  5. mule

mule Member

Made to go offline a few minutes at a time and sit in the corner.

Riders Champion, skyco and Cold Gin like this.
  6. Cold Gin

Cold Gin Member

Gotcha.

skyco likes this.
  7. mule

mule Member

Seems insignificant but try 20x 2minute bans per shift. It adds up. Often because I wouldn't accept pings from riders with ratings below 4.5. In turn, I would get pushed offline, miss the surge and then earn even less money once I can go back online.

That being said, Uber are obviously aware of that they broke they were treating us as employees so they stopped doing that practice recently.

8. Cold Gin

Cold Gin Member

Still happens in Melbourne - I copped it last weekend.

9. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

My acceptance rate is 100%. If their rating is below 4.90 they can pay me $7.50 in cancel fees. This only works if you keep your cancel rate below 45%.

20x $7.50 is what?

Better than sulking in that corner.

10. mule

mule Member

You can't collect a cancel fee if you show up. They will get in the car.

11. Riders Champion

Wasn't your point that you refuse to do illegal pickups?

So with that logic, you drive to the pick up point, your doors are locked, regardless of whether they have toes on the curb you just keep driving.

I have often waved to my rider, and mouthed through my glass that I can't pick them up there.

Go around the block, or stop when it is legal to. Wait there, check if the rider is making an attempt to come to you, if not wait a bit and then go back to circling the block.

All Uber needs to see is that you are making an effort to pick them up legally. Not just playing hide and seek.

eXploitation likes this.
  12. skyco

skyco Active Member

They still do this shit in Melbourne.

13. Riders Champion

Why do they treat Melbourne worse than Sydney? Don't they know about the already fragile inferiority complex?

14. skyco

skyco Active Member

Ho don't get me started RC, ....don't get me started :)

Riders Champion and Cold Gin like this.
  15. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Active Member

Something along the lines of what they did in the UK, to get us recognized as employees with the associate benefits etc . How do we go about getting this started, how much would it cost ? I think a class action would be worth trying.

16. It's a scam

It's a scam New Member

Trouble is HD, being uber drivers we're all broke, class action would be Ching Ching, uber wins again

17. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

Class action usually means the legal firm takes the hit with costs but gets a big cut out of damages payed to

The more numbers in the class action registering means a bigger overall payout therefore the bigger amount the legals can win for themselves

A great way to go really and the more in it the better as the legals cut then reduces somewhat

The claim here would be for all the extra payments goobers hasnt made to this point and of course sets a precedent for all future work payments

Not sure why you think goobers wins again
    Somewhat of a random statement

18. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Active Member

Yep especially in view of the success in the UK.