1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Speed and red light camera warning app

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Uberx zoom, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Using Waze or Google maps to navigate? ...don't forget to download and install Tomtom's free speed and red light cameras warning app. I use it all the time while driving. Couldn't recommend it enough!

Let it run in the background while you drive or click the little map sign on the app's main screen (bottom right) and select the consul view. This will display a little floating bar that will seat on top of your phone screen, display the speed limit (on the road you are on) and your vehicle speed and warn you when you get close to a red/speed camera or creep over the speed limit.

Furthermore, you can set this app to turn on and off automatically as soon as your phone connects to the car Bluetooth, in other words as soon as you start or finish driving, respectively.

Get it, you can all thank me later.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map

P.S.
    When it comes to roads speed limits i find the app to be accurate in 96% of cases.

Still good enough and way better then having no warnings at all whenever you happen to creep over the speed limit.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Tiger and Pippo like this.
  2. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

Looks good! Couldn't find it on the App store for iPhones.

3. Uberx zoom

Look for "tomtom speed cameras".

4. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Active Member

I get the fixed camera and speed warnings on Waze, but I've been wanting one that incorporates the Multinova locations which are published each day weekly in advance. Does the Tom Tom one do this ?

5. Uberx zoom

Tomtom is a stand alone app. It will sit on top of everything else and warns you in addition to any other warning apps you may have installed.

I use waze all the time but find the speed and cam warnings on Tomtom much more comprehensive. Waze misses alot.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  6. Scully99

Scully99 Active Member

I already have a dedicated to Tomtom gps that I use for speed cameras :)

7. Uberx zoom

How do you link a dedicated GPS device to the Uber app?... do you manually type the ping address?

8. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

I'd assume he meant the TomTom is following the route he is on without the input of a destination.

Uberx zoom likes this.
  9. Erodite Ernie

Erodite Ernie New Member

Many of us will own GPS's Units and some of those will have Life Time Maps which will now be considered redundant or depending on your marital status, a waste of money:(.

I will be giving Uberx-Zoom idea a go however, If your old GPS is sitting parked up in the garage with nowhere to go, why not resurrect it, plug it in to a spare 12V socket and stick it under the drivers chair. You might want to consider placing it face down in some sort of open lid container so as to not scratch or even crack the screen, should you be one who can lower and raise the aforementioned Driver's Chair.
    I have 2 Garmins, so I can't speak for the other brands however, whether if they are route dependent or not, (The Garmin is not) so it goes off at every known FIXED TAXATION Collection Position but, not at Multinovas or Mobile Speed Cameras.

This idea could be handy for you if you are limited on $$

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017