1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Eastern Distributor has variable speed cameras throughout the tunnel

Discussion in 'Sydney | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Riders Champion, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

Back in January 2017,

Thousands of Sydney drivers were unfairly fined after authorities changed the Eastern Distributor's fixed speed camera to a variable one (just like the M5, LCT, CCT etc)

ONE million dollars in fines was redacted.

But NOW in April 2017,

The fines are enforceable, as they have updated permanent signage and added in those temporary solar powered mobile warning devices to alert motorists.

This is an old-shit-googled photo, but better than nothing...
    edsigns480.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Syd-Uberer

Syd-Uberer New Guest Member

What I find really dodgy is every morning when traffic is banked up, they drop the speed limit to 60. When traffic is barely moving anyway! What's the point of that?

However, past the Bondi and Randwick exits, sometimes it becomes clear and you can inadvertently go over 60, thinking it's still 80 as usual.

Is that where the speed camera is? I'm willing to bet it's a blatant cash grab and nothing else!! Why else would they drop the speed limit!

3. Uber Doobie

Uber Doobie New Member

I am still not sure where it is but it got me on a Sunday morning at 7.30am 15 kms over but fortunately the only sent me a warning letter . . . . Karma

4. Riders Champion

It's not just one. Just like with the Lane Cove Tunnel and M5, it's a rolling camera. I was told there is a sensor every 500 metres and it will fine you only ONCE per trip (through the tunnels)

5. Scully99

Scully99 Active Member

The M5 radar is located at no:19 side access west bound..

East bound it is on no:15 side access

Lane cove tunnel west bound is located about 400 metres before the toll, near the 80km sign. Towards a left hand bend...

Riders Champion and Syd-Uberer like this.
  6. its just all bad news isnt it

Riders Champion likes this.
  7. Riders Champion

So are you saying that we can speed outside of these areas?

How about the harbour tunnel?

8. Scully99

Scully99 Active Member

Well, yes... :)

Harbour tunnel, I haven't been able to spot where the radar camera is, but I believe it's in the middle....the lowest point on the road...that is because there are lights above and there is rippled sensors on the that part of the road...

wasabi and Riders Champion like this.
  9. Uber Doobie

Uber Doobie New Member

Only for thrill seekers