1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Future actions ideas

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Llib, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Llib

Llib New Guest Member

Hi everyone, I have a new suggestion that will push more aggressively towards getting our demands met from Uber

Action
    Go to Toorak Rd Toorak (meet at the corner of Mathoura Rd and Toorak Rd at 3pm) today and drive up Toorak Rd toward Punt Rd, then turn right up Punt Rd towards Richmond, then turn left up on Alexandra Av and finish at the corner of Alexandra and Swan St (where it's reduced to one lane for roadworks) near the river and end the strike there.
    The advantage of this over normal picketing is that you can't get fined as the cars don't stop, not even Uber can detect you as the area is flooded with cars and will not be able to differentiate between strikers and s#$@s. Speaking of s$%@s they won't be able to take advantage due to the gridlock too much because of the gridlock in area. Another advantage is that it will be over in about 1/2 hour so will not affect drivers earnings too much as well as the fact it will only take about 20 cars to make a huge impact.

Please give me comments or if you have better ideas as this is just a suggestion ATM but we definitely need to start taking further action.

Riders Champion likes this.
  2. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

One can't expect everyone to agree or be in board with an idea, but that doesn't mean it should be dismissed.

How many drivers do you think is necessary as a minimum for this style of strike to be successful?

Once the number has been agreed upon, use PM or other forms of non-public communication to get a small group organised, and then go and do it.

You don't need to fly an RSDU banner about for every action. RSDU are an advocacy group with their own mission and objectives. You are an independent driver, and can do whatever you think is necessary to force change!

I think it is good to voice all the ideas out in the open here, because then you do not catch RSDU by surprise, and then they can decide whether to support or not - rather than be caught off guard by vigilante action.

Probably shouldn't make this comparison, but it's the first thing that comes to mind: ISIS.... they don't do anything. People just use their name, and later they take responsibility when they had NOTHING to do with it. See how effective they have been. Just saying - in terms of taking credit after the fact - for something you had no idea was going to happen.

Llib likes this.
  3. Llib

Llib New Guest Member

I am fully happy to cooperate with the RSDU and for the moment we are low on numbers to organise a significant strike action. Again I am happy to get their opinion and cooperate, that's what unions are, they are a collective group with goals for its members.

Uberx zoom likes this.
  4. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Active Member

IMHO, I'd like to suggest that members freely put forward their ideas, whether that be on the forum or via pm, but that any actions to be taken are ultimately decided upon and co-ordinated by the RSDU.

Llib and Uberx zoom like this.
  5. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Hi Llib,

Just want to make sure we are all on the same page. RSDU is an advocacy group. We are not a "union" per se. We don't want to be a union. We are what some would call an alt-union. Yet, we strongly believe that when it comes to dealing with companies like Uber unity is drivers' only strong bargaining chip.

Your support is very much welcomed and appreciated but we do not expect everyone to agree with our way of doing things.

Action ideas are great but for obvious reasons we prefer that they'll be discussed via pm. This is a public forum and everything being said here (strike related) may be viewed as RSDU "official", when it's not.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Llib likes this.
  6. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

P.S.

We are looking into adding a private forum soon.