1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Uber suspends self-driving car program after Arizona crash

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by DriverX, Mar 28, 2017.

1. DriverX

DriverX Active Member

Riders Champion likes this.
  2. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sucked in robots.

3. DriverX

DriverX Active Member

They stole the technology from Google and now seem unable to even make it work right.

Forget about driverless cars in the next 20 years IMO.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. Moober68

Moober68 Active Member

Google wasn't able to make it work right either. Uber knew that. And decided to try anyway
    What was that classic definition of insanity? Repeating the same action hoping for different result?

Syd-Uberer likes this.
  5. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I dont think anyone can make driverless cars work 100% yet. Roads are not ready not to mention legislation which is light years away. Still just a dream at this stage.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Dimmi Quando likes this.
  6. Dimmi Quando

Dimmi Quando Member

Roads will never be ready. Driverless will not work with driven, ever. Different sport. If hypothetically in some random space someone manages to eliminate all driven cars and all current roads built for driven cars and replace the whole thing with driverless cars and appropriately designed roads, maybe. But this is as much of an utopia as going 100% renewable energy eliminating all things fossil. Nice but not likely.

Uberx zoom likes this.
  7. Dimmi Quando

Dimmi Quando Member

In fact, they already unsuspended:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-temporary-suspension/?utm_term=.dd1546e7e5e3

Uber’s self-driving fleet is back on the road after a car crash Friday night prompted the company to temporarily suspend them.

The ride-hailing company said Monday that its vehicles would hit the streets of San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Tempe, Ariz., by the end of the day and resume picking up paying riders in the latter two cities. A spokeswoman said Uber felt confident in returning the vehicles to the road after one of its self-driving Volvo XC90s was struck and overturned in Tempe on Friday evening.

The suckers feel confident...

8. Uberx zoom

The fact they keep crushing and often for trivial reasons is already a big put off.

Not enough allowance for other driver errors so it seams...

According to the Hearladsun:

The accident occurred when the other vehicle "failed to yield" while making a left turn, police said.

9. Dimmi Quando

Dimmi Quando Member

Ya think??

Of course not. What does a human do when confronted with another human doing the wrong thing? Readjusts and and tries to remove themselves from the situation. What does a robot do? Proceeds with the algorithm as it is not doing anything wrong (which is true, it isn't).

Better question is, who is going to be willing to be a passenger in a driverless car? A stupid kid who spent too much time playing computer games? I wouldn't personally. Don't care how cheap it might be.

10. Uberx zoom

11. YOU get a self-driving car! and YOU get a self-driving car! and YOU get a self-driving car!

Uberx zoom likes this.
  12. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

they be much more inclined to make roads car unfriendly and push PT would they not?

plus the bullshit bike strategies - even pedestrians are second class citizens to bikers!

especially with high density starting to expand I think cars will be taxed the shit out of for the priviledge

check high street around Westgarth and Northcote for a clue

Uberx zoom likes this.
  13. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Active Member

I'm surprised San Francisco let them back in after they defiantly tried to operate without permits previously.
    Also there were 6 incidents where a red light was run , one of which was captured on Dash cam and circulated on Youtube.
    I have trouble getting to the destination using their mapping, what chance does a driverless car have lol.

Uberx zoom likes this.