1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Time for the NSW government and Uber to allocate a pick-up spot in Sydney CBD

Discussion in 'Sydney | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Little Red Corvette, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Little Red Corvette

Little Red Corvette New Member

I now turn off my uber app when in Sydney CBD and waste time and fuel driving straight out of there and refuse to pick up any riders there as it is too damn difficult to do without a centralised pick-up spot. It is high time the NSW government in conjunction with Uber organise a pick-up spot for rideshare services in the CBD of Sydney where riders can stand and request an Uber, and Uber drivers can safetly stop in that spot to pick them up, without the fear of being abused or rammed by other drivers, taxi drivers, buses etc.

They organised it for Sydney Airport, so I can't see why the same cannot be done for the CBD of Sydney. Too many trip requests end up in the CBD, good luck trying to find a spot to wait to pick someone up on Castlereagh, Pitt or George Streets afterwards.

This is also my first post on here. Been driving Uber full time in Sydney since leaving my crappy job in April.

Uberx zoom, river view and Cold Gin like this.
  2. skyco

skyco Active Member

Welcome,

We have the same problems here in Melbourne CBD. I normally drop passengers, then switch off and get the hell out of there as fast as i can. We are being taxed like taxi drivers, you'd think they'll allow us the same pickup/drop off benefits like taxis.

It is Uber job to press and argue these matters but as usual they couldn't care less, the fines are the driver problem.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  3. river view

river view Member

Hi LRC, I was lucky to meet an experienced Uber driver before my first day and he gave me the tip to turn off the app in the city. If you have enabled "receive new requests before end of trip" it means hitting "Stop New Requests" as soon as you know the drop off location. If I forget I am punished with Pitt street pickup/ Pitt street drop off or my shortest trip ever 150m Gucci Castleraegh St/ Pitt St Mall. I wished she had cancelled so I could collect my "GST free" cancellation fee. It was a nightmare getting to pickup location but could not stop laughing after pickup. Rider very embarrassed.

Good idea about the pickup/drop locations in the city. Does anyone know the best way to make suggestions to Uber management as the support functions do not seem to facilitate this?

Regards,
    RV

4. Little Red Corvette

Little Red Corvette New Member

Thanks for the replies and idea support.

Yes, I always hit the "stop new requests" as soon as I see drop off location in the CBD.

I always educate my riders on most trips I make about the best pick up points if they are in the CBD. I generally advise them to walk to Kent St in the Rocks or Hickson Road. If that is too far I tell them walk towards Kings Cross and book the Uber from Crown or Bourke or even Stanley Street. I tell them it is much easier to pick up from there than in the CBD proper.

Let's hope we get allocated a pick up point in the CBD sometime after November 1st when the new legislation kicks in, to help level out the playing field a little more.

Speaking of which I am starting to worry as I haven't received my uber sticker yet and it is less than a week until November 1st.

river view likes this.
  5. qykzoo

qykzoo New Member

Rather than an allocated spot to WAIT, i would suggest a Kiss-n-Ride style area where we can wait for 1 minute for passengers to exit or enter the vehicle...rather than the no stopping zone. I was advised by a Ryde City Ranger that they dont really look at RIDE Share when they pickup and setdown in Loading Zones...but they will USE A CAMERA to record NO STOPPING ZONES... Hopefully with the new Vehicle Identification that we get a few more breaks in NO STOPPING zone similar to Taxis.

Has anyone got thoughts on the NEW POINT-TO-POINT Destination rules coming into force on 1 November

6. qykzoo

qykzoo New Member

Another Question, can anyone advise on the GST... After reading the TERMS AND CONDITIONS, it appears that UBER includes the GST component in the total, borne out by looking at the ride invoice, and then proceeds to make their 27.5% cut on the total amount including the GST that they have collected on our behalf. Can we get UBER to explicitly detail this breakdown so that the RIDERS also know how much we are paying in GST and how badly UBER is treating the "hand that feeds it"

7. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

I do not advise relying on Uber advice for the purpose of GST reporting/accounting.

You are best doing your BAS with an accountant that is well familiar with RideShare accounting. The topic is quite new and not all accountants are up to date. Uber accounting can be quite challenging for accountants that are not familiar with this gig and this may get you in troubles with the ATO further down the line due to reporting and business set up errors.

Ask alot of questions and make sure the accountant you deal with knows all about the latest RideShare ATO rulings, it's the accountant responsibility to know. This will protect you against any future ATO/GST/Reporting issues in case of erroneous reporting.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  8. I'd agree, but for another reason. City riders are so damned impatient. And getting round blocked roads and one ways which the app doesn't seem to 'know' about ends up in wasted time and petrol. And rider cancellations.

Little Red Corvette likes this.
  9. HSnypeR

HSnypeR Member

Don't use the Uber Map for navigation. It' the worse.

Use Waze. It knows most of the time. But most importantly know your street know your city streets. Heaps of one way streets. Give the riders a quick call while you drive there to let them know of road work.

It takes a while to get used to driving in Sydney CBD. I always stop at no stopping places for like 5-10 seconds. Double park like the taxis. They never get caught or fined for doing so.

10. skyco

skyco Active Member

I agree. Waze, hands down. Forget the rest.

11. HSnypeR

HSnypeR Member

A centralised kiss and ride spot isn't practical. Won't work especially when people want to be as close as possible to their destination. But we need more kiss and ride bays spread throughout the city on main streets.

Little Red Corvette likes this.