1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Where has all the work gone?

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Bases Loaded, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

Wherever you drive, whatever time of day, try getting away from hoards of 12+ little ants.

I get the feeling, after the last 7 days, that we have finally hit the tipping point of more drivers than available work.

I've gone from being able to earn $300 in 9-10 hours to $180 all of the sudden.

Stay tuned after the F1, I reckon there'll be little to no work unless you sit outisde the MCG during footy matches.

Get out of Uber now.

eXploitation likes this.
  2. coolair

coolair Member

I'm starting to think it may be the new operators having an impact and grabbing too many jobs. It was absolutely dead today.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    eXploitation likes this.
  3. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

I got lucky with a 2.5x surge during the train debacle in Fairfield, but that's an anomaly and prior to that I had 7 hours for $140.

Even tried the "early" shift today starting at 5AM and didn't end up in any better position than had I started at 8:30 like normal.

It's over.

4. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

I'm still out, in the airport queue. I have to pay rent on Wednesday, and at this rate, I won't be able to

eXploitation likes this.
  5. coolair

coolair Member

Take it easy mate. Everything will be just fine. Not a great start to the day but im sure it'll get better.

6. Jason

Jason Member

Interesting reading. I'm a Perth driver. 12 months ago, a normal day was to make $300 and with effective ease.
    The all of a sudden, ants everywhere.
    Now, more KMs a day, more hours a day. $180.

eXploitation likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Member

45hrs this week. Just over 1k. Then take off the costs.

8. Traveller

Traveller New Member

I too am a Perth driver and confess to not working full time and therefore, cannot fully appreciate the concern about lack of income. I believe that one of the problems in EVERY city is this queuing at the airport system. While you are sitting in a queue waiting you are not earning! If you all refused to queue and went about seeking opportunities elsewhere, then you would be earning and as the jobs for the airports came up, drivers would be directed for the pick ups. It all worked just fine before the queuing system was introduced and now you queue, wait for hours (?) for no money and then the airport also gets a fee for your services.

9. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

It's a joke. My earnings can fluctuate between $180 for 10 hours and $370

How do you plan a life around such insecurity?!

eXploitation likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Member

You don't, we have been lied to right from the start. Remember when it was advised, can make $35 a hour, now it's advertised as a good part time gig. But honestly if your doing part time, your only making less than $4 a hour.
    Then, if you want to look at global situation, most rideshare drivers around the world are really after tips now. UN Australian

eXploitation likes this.
  11. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

Working for tips, where have i read that before? Tips are a thing here too, just on the low down and symbolic -at that- in hospitality.

In the usa the folks actually rely on it as a major part of their income as hourly rates are so low.

Around 20% of bill is good and in nyc you need to add 5% to that. It is taken very seriously mind you. Not exactly optional for the punter.

Uberx zoom likes this.
  12. Uberian2701

Uberian2701 New Member

Don't forget it's school holidays here in Melb. This year Easter and school holidays coincided. As well, I reckon many have gone to Qld for the Comm Games, or other places. Many registered drivers who don't otherwise drive except on public holidays or when they take holidays, are driving and flooding the roads. Wait until holidays are over and we'll see if there is any change.

13. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

Yeah, well, that doesn't pay my rent unfortunately, so I'm pretty much done. Looks like I have a new job starting next week.

Also, many passengers are beginning to talk up Taxify, so I suspect a lot of work is now going there, too.

eXploitation likes this.
  14. Uberian2701

Uberian2701 New Member

Good luck for the new job mate. I can hear your frustration in your words. At least you can drive part time if you need to.

15. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

should easily be able to balance revenue with gst inputs and depreciations this way
    Effectively pay stuff all gst and tax
    No need for overseas account