1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

General Questions

Discussion in 'Sydney | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Dreiszler, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Hi,

I am completely new to rideshare and would like to do Uber full time for a few months. Currently I am renting a Camry from UCar to do this during the day and night because my normal car does not qualify for UberX, but my normal car DOES qualify for Uber Eats (according to their requirements). There were just some questions I had with starting out (I've only been driving for a couple months) -

1. Are airport trips worth it? It seems like there are so many tolls you have to go through and fees that Syd Airport charges just to WAIT for the hope of a trip. Once you get a trip, is it worth the wait and fees? Especially with the current travel climate?

2. Is $1000 a week an unrealistic goal to achieve doing purely UberX? I don;t have a car big enough for UberXL and I don;t think I would be able to afford one.

3. I am aiming to get rid of the Camry eventually and just use my normal car for Uber Eats full time but I am afraid it might be significantly less. Is Uber Eats something that can be done full time?

4. With Tax and BAS statements, is it better to get an accountant to do all that for me? Do I need to keep all my dockets? I vaguely remember seeing something on Kath and Kim about the BAS.

Sorry for the long post and sorry if the questions are dumb, I am just really in the dark about this and any piece of advice, no matter how tiny will be hugely appreciated!!

Thanks!

DriverX likes this.
  2. DriverX

DriverX Active Member

1. Depends from where, City (Mel) to Airport is only about the $40 on normal rates. Passenger pays the toll, make sure you did get it at the end of the trip as Uber tends to "forget" paying the driver the tolls sometimes.
    2. $1000 p/week on UberX is very realistic. Full time about 50+ hours (after expenses).
    3. Never did Uber eats myself but I wouldn't think so, from what I've heard Uber eats rates are too low, a side gig really. Only busy around meal times, mostly dead the rest.
    3. You can do all the BAS yourself using app based online services. Plenty of tax guides online, it's quite easy.

Hope that helps.