1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Gst registration Didi. Account suspended

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Andrew_Roberts, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Not sure if this has been posted before but newbie here. I've been driving for didi now for 2 years and today my app has been suspended for not registering for GST. I have an ABN number but because I am semi-retired I don't earn over $50K a year so as a small business I don't have to register for GST. So before I make a fool of myself and get legal advice is anyone else in the same situation as myself.

2. I found this from the ATO website, that any taxi including rideshare must be registered for GST regardless of your income.

You must register for GST:

• when your business or enterprise has a GST turnover (gross income minus GST) of $75,000 or more (see Working out your GST turnover)
    • when you start a new business and expect your turnover to reach the GST threshold (or more) in the first year of operation
    • if you're already in business and have reached the GST threshold
    • if your non-profit organisation has a GST turnover of $150,000 per year or more
    • when you provide taxi or limousine travel for passengers (including ride-sourcing) regardless of your GST turnover – this applies to both owner drivers and if you lease or rent a taxi
    • if you want to claim fuel tax credits for your business or enterprise.

3. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Hi Andrew,

When it comes to the ATO, Rideshare drivers are like taxi drivers, they must collect and report GST from the first dollar earned.

To do rideshare you must register for GST regardless of any other tax arrangements you may have.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2020
  4. The great thing about GST rego is that you can now claim GST on all outgoings that have GST attached. Good luck with it and report yearly but track it quarterly with bookwork showing it broken into four parts to the year. It's a pain!